Saturday, June 11, 2011

Two weeks later

Everyday my dad drives me to work, and comes to pick me up when the day ends. He’s not reassured to let me go by my own, so I got to see him every day. It is a bit weird situation, since I haven’t seen him for about ten years in a row. Getting used to it is not as difficult as I thought, but hearing him calling me “chérie” sounds quite strange to my ear.

Today he brought me around the city, and to some markets, where I've taken few pictures. Olympic market reminded me about Ningbo “shangye guang chang”. The principle is the same than in China: cheap clothes, Asian style design, over cute things, and bargaining is a must, especially if you’re a foreigner. You can find a lot of things there, from clothes to food, or goods for daily use. I've bought a pair of "tuoxie" (slippers) for $2, drank a coke for 1500 riels. DVDs from Sorya market costs $1.5, frozen yoghourt with toping approx. $2.5. Here you can use both currencies, US dollar or Cambodia Riels, and even combine the two together. Later I went to Lucky supermarket to buy some snacks. I've bought two packets of biscuits, a pack of tissue, and a pack of chocolate milk for 4$.

Now a heavy rain filled all the city’s streets, so I’m back home, waiting for the rain to stop before going wandering again in the city.

Olympic market reminds me a of a bigger Ningbo's "shangye guangchang"


Sorya market, more modern and air-conditionned, but also smaller choice and more expensive than Olympic. Eating a frozen yoghourt with fruits, yummy and refreshing !

Cambodian version of Denver the last dinosaur :)

1 comment: